2 tablespoons dry sherry or Chinese rice wine
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons vegetarian oyster sauce (or regular oyster-flavored sauce)
2 teaspoons chili Ponzu sauce
3/4 teaspoon sugar
6 cups water
6 bags oolong tea
8 oz dried somen noodles
2 tablespoons Camellia oil
2 tablespoons finely shredded ginger
1 shallot, thinly sliced
2 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked to soften, caps sliced
2 oz pressed tofu, cut into matchstick pieces
¾ cup shredded carrot
1 cup mung bean sprouts, roots removed
1 cup shredded roast chicken meat (optional)
2 teaspoons cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients; set aside.
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, turn off heat, add tea bags and let steep for 2 minutes. Remove ¼ cup of the tea liquid and reserve. Remove tea bags and discard.
- Bring remaining tea liquid to a boil; add noodles and cook until just tender. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain again and set aside.
- In a stir-fry pan, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Add ginger and shallot; cook until fragrant. Add mushrooms, tofu and carrot; cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add sauce ingredients and reserved ¼ cup tea liquid: continue to cook for 1 minute. Add noodles, bean sprouts, chicken meat (if using), and toss to combine. Add cornstarch solution and cook until sauce is thickened, about 1 minute.
- To serve, garnish with sesame seeds.